I’m doing some firmware updates on Citrix Netscaler appliances today and thought I would give you guys a quick guide on how to do this. This applies to all legacy appliances, MPX appliances, and VPX appliances. You use the same procedure for both Classic and nCore firmware packages. It is very easy to do. 🙂
1. Login to MyCitrix at http://citrix.com/English/mycitrix/index.asp and download the firmware .tgz package. Make sure to check compatability with your appliance before downloading.
2. Use WinSCP to transfer the package to the /var/nsinstall directory on your appliance.
3. SSH into your appliance using Putty and type “shell” to enter the shell
4. Type cd /var/nsinstall
5. Type ls to list the contents of the directory and verify your newly uploaded firmware package is there
6. Now type “tar -zxvf build-xxxxxxxx.tgz” to unzip the package
7. Then type “installns” to begin the install. Should take about 30 seconds to copy to flash and install.
8. Reboot the appliance once prompted for it (just type Y).
9. Login via the web GUI and verify the firmware version in the top right corner is the same as the package you were trying to apply.